Happy Tuesday to all you awesome people! I hope you all have awesome weeks ahead of you!
This week’s Tidbit is brought to you by my supreme perfectionist tendencies, and how much I like everything on my blog to match. Almost every blog has a theme; some of you guys have beautiful, floral designs, some of you have clean, streamlined themes. For me, the only thing really tying it all together is the green, because it’s my favorite color!
Like most WordPress themes, mine has a specific color for links inside my posts. So, if I put a link in my post, it automatically appears as this nice green color. Which made me happy, because it matched with the rest of my theme.
BUT THEN I DISCOVERED SOMETHING. That color doesn’t stay the same across all platforms. If you read my post on my blog, you see a green link. BUT if you read my post on the WordPress Reader, it’s that light link blue! And that’s when perfectionist Ryann came out to play!
If I wanted my links to be the same color no matter where your see them, I had to do it by manually changing it when you write the post. (The easiest way to do this is to highlight the part you want to make the link, and change the color BEFORE you add the link.)
So if you’re as big a perfectionist as I am, and love when everything about your blog is color coordinated, make sure to manually change the color!
Now, I wouldn’t call myself a Grammar Nazi, exactly. More like a friendly Grammar Neighborhood Watch.
When it comes down to it, internet slang and grammar slip ups don’t really bother me, but if you’re writing a book or a blog post or an essay, you want to make sure your writing stands out by being as grammatically correct as possible.
One thing I notice a lot is when someone uses “less” when they should use “fewer.” I can’t help it; it’s a reaction left over from my Writing Tutor days. Seriously, I never felt closer to Stannis Baratheon than in these moments:
Basically, every sign you see that says “10 items or less” is JUST WRONG! The rule is actually super simple; if you can count it, use “fewer,” if not, use “less.” So, you would have fewer items, but less stuff. Fewer dollars, but less money. Fewer books, but less happiness.
Knowing the difference is just one of those little things that can really make you stand out as a writer (or blogger or student)!
Thanks for reading!
Are there any little grammar issues that get under your skin? Do you think I’m a grammar Nazi for being so particular about this? Let me know in the comments below!
Happy Tuesday, all you awesome people! The air here has finally gotten chilly, and we are most definitely into fall weather. Around here, that usually means it’ll be snowing in a couple weeks. But I am ready for sweaters blankets and reading by the fire, so I’m actually a little excited!
I’m also excited for this week’s Top 5 Tuesday Topic – My Favorite Book Quotes you’re welcome for this cheesy yet smooth transition hosted by the awesome Shanah @ Bionic Bookworm. It’s gonna be hard for me to choose just five, but I’ll do my best!
So, without any further ado, here are 5 of my favorite book quotes!
As if I needed help in ruling the world! And thus does my evil laughter ensue! BWAHAHAHA!
In all seriousness, though, I have been super excited for this topic! I’m pretty sure I’ve said that for every Tuesday this month, but what can I say? Shanah @ BionicBookworm had some great September Top 5 Topics!
So, without any further ado, the 5 characters I’d rule the world with!Read More »
Hello to all you amazing people! It’s Tuesday, which means today there’s a special at one of my favorite pizza shops! ;P But more importantly, it’s time for another Top 5 Tuesday post, hosted by the amazing Shanah @ Bionic Bookworm! Today’s Top 5 Topic is “Dream Reading Spaces,” aka learning how all-over-the-place Ryann’s tastes are! Seriously guys, my style preferences are all over the place. One minute I want a reading space that’s dark and heavy and cut off from the rest of the world, the next, I want a space that’s bright and as close to outside as possible.
But I have been so excited for this topic, so let’s get to it!
Happy Tuesday to all you beautiful people! It’s that time of the week: time for another Top 5 Tuesday hosted by the wonderful Shanah @ BionicBookworm! I’m about 80% excited for this week’s Top 5 Topic: Recommendations for non-readers. The other 20% is nervous, because THAT’S SO MUCH PRESSURE! What if a non-reader takes my recommendation, and ends up hating it, and never reads anything ever again?! And, perhaps just as important, how do I pick just five out of all the amazing books there are? All the same, I’m going to give this my best shot!
So, without further ado, my recommendations for non-readers!Read More »